Apprentice Front-End Developer
Here is a chance to get paid while learning how to be a web developer. If you have a passion for technology, you pick up new skills quickly, and you love working in a team environment then we’d love to hear more about you.
As an Apprentice Front-End Developer, you will be a member of our cross-functional product development team which is made up of designers, testers, and software engineers. Through a combination of directed self-study, mentorship, and pair programming, you’ll learn the skills you need to become a front-end developer while you’re on the job. We work together to ship code every day and are constantly looking for ways to improve. We are responsible for a suite of long-lived products that receive constant innovation, feedback, iteration, maintenance, and new feature development.
Software engineers at Second Street are fully involved in every part of the process, from planning, to developing, to testing, to launch. We care deeply and we do things right: version control, automated testing, code reviews, and occasional pair programming. We also focus on work-life balance, so you won’t be burning the midnight oil here. As a future front-end software engineer your teammates will help you along your learning journey, making sure you’re given the resources you need for your individualized growth, making sure you’re never stuck too long on particularly vexing issues, guiding you as you build larger projects, and teaching you how to keep an eye toward usability and user experience.
We are an audience engagement software platform that is used by over 3,000 media companies and marketers. Some of our leading-edge products include online contests, ballots, polls, quizzes, sweepstakes, email, audience insights, and more. We are seeking tech-savvy professionals who are passionate about our industry, learn quickly, and are motivated to succeed.
- Technical Skills
- A desire to learn front-end development, the specific set of skills that lets you make user interfaces that run in a web browser
- Basic computer literacy: typing, interacting with files and folders, knowing the difference between a search engine and a web browser, etc.
- Comfortable with problem-solving
- Interpersonal Skills
- Thrives collaborating in a team environment with a diverse range of people
- Willing to receive mentorship from our other software engineers and developers
- Passionate about delivering an amazing customer experience
- Writes clearly and concisely
- Growth Skills
- Possesses a good work ethic; a self-starter with a desire to grow
- Always looking for better ways to get the job done
- A four-year degree in any field, or work history with at least 2 years at a single company
- Have read Reinventing Organizations, Work Rules, and/or The Lean Mindset
- Competitive Salary
- Unlimited Vacation / PTO
- 401(k) plan with company contribution
- Our incredible medical, dental, and vision benefits are 100% covered for you, and 50% for your family
- Relocation reimbursement
- Off-site development retreats
- Computer of your choice
- Free parking or a Metro pass, your choice
- Private gym in the basement of our historic building
- Annual conference and professional development budget
- Our focus on employee happiness leads to fun surprises like renting out movie theaters
- Twice-annual week full of fun, food, and games known as “Company Week”
- We work in a fun office environment with a shuffleboard table, Nintendo Switch, Peloton Bike, and full kitchen including company-provided snacks and drinks
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value transparency, so we’ve written about our process, step-by-step, on our engineering blog. We’ll be sure to let you know along each step of the way how things are going, and whether you’ve made it to the next step.
Second Street Media, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.